Our work on the Indus script using Markov chains, a powerful mathematical technique which is used to search for patterns, has attracted worldwide attention.
Press for "Entropic Evidence for Linguistic Structure in the Indus Script", which appeared in Science, April 2009.
- Indian Press : Language evidence in the Indus script by G. S. Mudur of the Telegraph. Indus Valley script may have a tale to tell by Mihika Basu of the DNA. Indus Valley civilisation was literate press release by the Times of India. Scientists inch closer to cracking Indus Valley script by Seema Singh of the Mint/Wall Street Journal. Indus Valley symbols linked to language says The Hindu. Indus script does encode a language by A. Srivathsan and T.S. Subramanian of the The Hindu. An illiterate civilisation ? asks Hartosh Singh Bal of the Open Magazine.
- International Press : Scientists claim to have found language of ancient Indus civilisation by Ian Sample of the Guardian. Artificial Intelligence Cracks 4000-Year-Old Mystery by Brandon Keim of Wired Science. A Chinese report which none of us know how to read. The BBC has an interview of Rajesh in their Science in Action section.
- Science Magazines : New Scientist. Nature India. Scientific American India. Physics Today. The Smithsonian article by David Zax has interesting comments from readers.
- Blogs : Kris Hirst. Rahul Basu. Rahul Siddharthan, in particular, has a good bhasya on our work, and the misunderstanding it has engendered. Mahesh Shastry speaks about the unacademic tone in which some some of the debate is being conducted and gets one of the culprits to back down.
- Google News has aggregated more articles on our paper in Science.
- Iravatham Mahadevan has written a clear and calm article, free of personal attacks, on how the "Non-script" is a non-issue.
Press for "Markov Chains for the Indus Script", which appeared in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, August 2009.
- Indian Press : Indus script may soon give up its secrets by Chetan Chauhan of the Hindustan Times. Indus valley secrets to be unlocked says Times Now. Steve Bonta and Bryan Wells, Senior Visiting Scholars to the Institute of Mathematical Sciences on national television talking about the Indus script. Arnab Goswami of Times Now interviews Nisha Yadav, Bryan Wells and Steve Bonta. T. S. Jayan writes about our group in the Telegraph. Hema Vijay of the Deccan Herald talks about the interdisciplinary effort at understanding the Indus script.
- International Press : Indus Valley script to be deciphered by computer model says Softpedia. Computers Unlock More Secrets Of The Mysterious Indus Valley Script says Science Daily. Ishan Tharoor writes for the Time magazine about Decoding the Ancient Script of the Indus Valley.